The EBNetwork carries on a number of activities and events. This section details outcomes of our funding awards. If you are interested in participating in one of our working groups, check out current working groups here or if your interest area is not covered, apply for one here.
Details of our Proof of Concept (POC) projects, Business Interaction Vouchers (BIV) and associated press can be found below.
POC 2020 Call – Funded Projects
- Enhancing PFASs Attenuation in Coastal brownfield Soils (EPACS): enhancing natural system attenuation capacity for a key emerging contaminant – Professor Andy Cundy, University of Southampton
- Bio-engineering of biochar for enhanced remediation of contaminated land – Dr Tony Gutierrez, Heriot Watt University
- Fibre Highways: translocation of the microbiome for pollutant bioremediation – Dr Angela Sherry, Northumbria University
- Development of a monooxygenase gene-based assay to characterise 1,4-dioxane bioremediation potential – Dr Simon Gregory, British Geological Survey
- In Situ Monitoring of Wastewater Treatment Plant Microbial Communities for Better Treatment Management – Dr Russell Davenport, Newcastle University
Publicly available summaries for all awarded POC projects are available here.
BIV 2020 Call – Funded Projects
The following projects have been awarded funding in our EB Network BIV2020 Call.
- Determination of microbial communities of laboratory anaerobic digestion tanks and impact of the CreChar additive on the microbial community dynamics – Prof James Chong, University of York/Dr Adam Ostrowski, Carbogenics Ltd
- Understanding anaerobic biodegrability of organic menstrual care products: technical feasibility and sector receptivity – Dr Yadira Bajon Fernandez, Cranfield University/Kimberley Dobney, Turn and Flow
- Meeting the nutrient neutrality challenge using newly developed biological technology – Dr Yonqiang Liu, University of Southampton/Adam White, Plantwork Systems Ltd
Publicly available information for all awarded BIV projects are available here.
EBNet BIV & POC project dissemination
“Scientists examine whether microbes can clean up contaminated land“, Aberdeen Evening Express, 15/01/21. Further articles in The Scottish Farmer (21/01/21), The Courier (15/01/21), The Herald (15/01/21) and STV News (15/01/21). Also, see the Heriot-Watt website. [Dr Tony Gutierrez, Heriot Watt University, POC202008].
“EBNet grant success for Fibre Highways: translocation of the microbiome for pollutant bioremediation” and “Fibre highways for microbial travel” Biotechnology in the Built Environment website, 22/10/20. Fibre Highways YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/vRs8D4A4J9M [Dr Angela Sherry, Northumbria University, Dr Jane Scott, Newcastle University, POC202015]
“British Geological Survey partner with Arcadis in research programme to support brownfield development“, BGS website press release, 15/10/20, [Dr Simon Gregory, British Geological Survey, POC202029] .
“Viewing menstrual waste as a resource“, Turn and Flow blog with Dr Yadira Bajon Fernandez, Cranfield University [BIV202002].